85% of companies are using open-source software, with most of the remaining 15% expecting to do so within the 2009, according to Gartner. 31% of companies had formal policies for evaluating and procuring open-source software.
US sales of video game hardware and software rose 18% in October 2008 from October 2007, after falling 7% in September 2008, as Wii console sold over 800,000 units, NPD reported.
|Use webmail services such as Hotmail,
Gmail, or Yahoo! mail
|Store personal photos||50||34||26||19|
|Use online applications such as Google
Documents or Adobe Photoshop Express
|Store personal videos||14||6||5||2|
|Pay to store computer files online||9||4||5||3|
|Back up hard drive to an online site||7||5||5||4|
|Have done at least one activity||87%||71%||59%||46%|
|Have done at least two activities||59||39||31||21|
|Source: Pew Internet Project|
Verdict Research predicted that the video games market would grow by 1.37 bln pounds or 42% in 2008, outstripping music and video sales. That would value the games market at 4.64 bln pounds compared to the 4.46 bln pounds spent on music and videos.
According to IDC, the worldwide storage software market experienced its 19th consecutive quarter of YTY growth in Q2 2008 with revenues of $3.1 bln, a 14.2% increase over Q2 2007. This was the first time that the worldwide storage software market surpassed $3 bln in revenues in Q3 2008. The overall storage software market grew at a faster rate in the second quarter than in the usually slow first quarter of the year. The year-over-year growth for 2Q08 was 14.2% compared to 9.4% for Q1 2008. Most of the top vendors experienced accelerated growth in the second quarter, which helps to explain the strong Q2 results.
IDC still predicts 17% growth for search and discovery software in 2008 and 12.9% growth for 2009. This is down from the 28% growth we saw in 2007, but certainly a healthy increase, according to IDC.
The Nordic market for packaged software saw significant growth in 2007, according to IDC. At 8.6% growth, the market grew as fast as the record growth of 2006, and in 2007 the total packaged software market reached a value of 6 bln euro in the Nordic region. IDC believes the software market will be fairly resilient to the slowdown in the investment climate, but we nevertheless expect a gradual slowing down of the software market to 7.2% this year and 6.4% in 2009.
Americans spent $1.27 bln on video games in September 2008, down 7% from September 2007. Hardware sales dropped 9% to $497.98 mln and software sales fell 6% to $616.1 mln. Nintendo Wii and DS held their place as the two best-selling gaming systems. Microsoft’s Xbox 360 sold 347,200 units during the month, in third place and up 78% from August 2008.
In 2008 the virtual game economy employs 400,000 people who earn an average of $145 per month, creating a global market worth about $500 mln, according to Professor Richard Heeks from the University of Manchester. 80% of virtual game workers are based in China.
PC gaming was a $10.7 bln industry during the year of 2007, with retail sales accounting for just 30% of total revenues. According to PC Gaming Alliance, growth was largely driven by online revenues from Asia, the world’s largest market, which is approaching half of total worldwide sales. Online PC gaming revenue led the way in 2007 with $4.8 bln, nearly double the worldwide retail sales numbers for PC games. Digital distribution sales approached $2 bln, while advertising revenues from websites, portals, and in-game ads accounted for $800 mln.