Healthcare providers and defense contractors were the leading employers posting online jobs on CareerBuilder, HotJobs and Monster during the second quarter of 2003, according to Corzen?s Employers Posting Jobs Scorecard. Among all companies using the three online job boards, recruiters and staffing firms also ranked among the highest job posters.
According to a study by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) each of the top seven fastest growing occupations projected for 2000 to 2010 falls within an IT or computer-related field.
Here’s the breakdown:
- Computer software engineers, applications
- Computer support specialists
- Computer software engineers, software systems
- Network and computer systems administrators
- Network systems and data communications analysts
- Desktop publishers
- Database administrators
A study by the National Science Foundation found that, in 1999, two-thirds of workers who had a bachelor’s degree and held a computer-related job had not majored in IT or computer-related fields.