68% of mobile phones sold in 2004 had color screens

In 2004, 68% of all mobile phones shipped worldwide used color displays, with the remaining 32% being monochrome. By 2008, color displays will be virtually ubiquitous in new mobile phones, with a 96% penetration rate. Among the color-display phones, the mix is shifting toward higher-quality TFT displays, as price decreases make them a more viable alternative to the Color-STN (C-STN) screens most commonly used now. iSuppli estimates that the market for TFT-LCD displays for mobile phones amounted to 241 mln units in 2004. In 2005, the mobile phone TFT- LCD market will swell by 50% to reach 367 mln units.