100 mln silicon microphones shipped in 2006

Silicon MEMs microphone installations doubled between 2005 and 2006 to reach 20% of mobile phones manufactured, according to The Information Network. The Silicon Microphone market is geared to grow from 100 mln units, which represented 6.1% of the 1.6 bln microphones sold worldwide in 2005 to more than 500 bln units in 2008 ? a compounded growth rate of 90%. Nearly 90% of shipments in 2006 were for cell phones; the remaining nearly 10% in consumer applications such as digital cameras, MP3 players, and PDAs.