36.9 mln IPTV subscribers in 2009

The number of IPTV subscribers is predicted to grow from 3.7 mln to 36.9 mln by 2009, Research and Markets says. The number of DSL subscribers will grow from 97 mln on 2005 to 221 mln in 2009, a compound annual growth rate of 22%. The number of global IP TV subscribers will grow from 3.7 mln in 2005 to 36.9 mln in 2009, a compound annual growth rate of 78%. The global IP TV service revenue forecast is $880 mln in 2005 growing to $9.9 bln in 2009, a compound annual growth rate of 83%. Of the four regions, Europe and North America are generating a significant amount of this revenue. Asia is generating a lower amount of revenue due to lower average prices. The forecast for global IP TV system revenue will grow from $774 mln in 2005 too $3.3 bln in 2009, a compound annual growth rate of 44%. The set-top boxes and the access systems together account for 68% of the total in 2009. The other five product categories account for 32% of the total in the same year.